Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Dialysis

Met with the kidney doc today.  We again talked about dialysis.  It's coming, sooner rather than later.  He doesn't like the looks of my legs (not that they were all that great to begin with), but the amount of fluid is "shocking".  I'm up to 279lbs.  My stomach is distended and I look like I'm, well, "retaining fluids".

Crap.  He's doubling up (or doubling down) on the diuretics and adding another one.  I have until Monday to drop some of this water, or after chemo on Monday he's going to put in the hospital and give me industrial strength diuretics for a day or two and get this out of me.

And I'm planning on hunting the Dove season opener on Thursday.  Yeah, I know priorities.  So Mon-Wed in the Hospital then Thursday hunting.  I can do that.  I might even feel and do better. 

Either way, dialysis is coming soon, I had hoped to make to the being of next year.  Here's why.  I can either do hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis.  Both options suck, it's just trying to choose the least sucky one.  I'm leaning toward peritoneal, which, while is sounds really gross to use my own peritoneal membrane to filter basically my pee, it does allow me the freedom to travel do certain things.  However, it also limits what I can do.  Hemodialysis ties me here, to a schedule of going and spending 3-5 hours at a treatment center every other day. There goes trips to Indy, Hunting, and anything else I want to do.  With Peritoneal I can travel, as long as I can find an outlet to plug in my machine at night.  And somewhere to dump all the waste fluid bags.  From wikipedia: 
It does free patients from the routine of having to go to a dialysis clinic on a fixed schedule multiple times per week, and it can be done while travelling with a minimum of specialized equipment.  
 Okay, not great, but do-able. It will mean that camping will be in the camper only, where there is power.  So Cub Scout camping will be out.  Or maybe I can do it before and immediately after.  I might be able to do that.  

Anyway, I'm heading to Indy this weekend to see my parents.  I'll spend some time with Mom and greet her more comfortable with her new computer and FB, I thought she would take to it like a fish to water.  Try, try again.  There's the Indy 1500 Fun Show and a Blogmeet on Sunday.  It's shaping up to be a good weekend before a week of suck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment